Washington State Governors’ Scholarship Eligibility



The Washington State Governors’ Scholarship for Foster Youth is a scholarship program that helps young men and women, who are either currently or were before the age of 18 years of age in a state, federal or tribal dependency court order in the state of Washington, continue their education and earn a college degree. The program is supported by Governor Jay Inslee, The Honorable Chris Gregoire (former Governor), The Honorable Gary Locke (former Governor), and other former governors of Washington State.

Proceeds from the Governors’ Cup – an annual golf tournament – provide funding for approximately 40 new scholars each year. Scholarship award amounts range from $2,000 to $4,000 depending on the college of attendance.

Selected students can access the annual scholarship for up to five years to complete their undergraduate study. Students must be enrolled full time and maintain satisfactory academic progress in order to renew the scholarship each year.

Application Eligibility

To be considered for the Washington State Governors’ Scholarship students must:

  • Be on track to graduate from a Washington state high school by June 2018.
  • Have a minimum cumulative high school GPA of 2.0.
  • Plan to enroll full-time by the fall 2018 at an eligible college or university in the state of Washington.
  • Have resided in Washington state for at least three academic years prior to graduating from high school or obtaining a GED.
  • Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)
  • If under 18, students must currently have an open dependency order that resulted from intervention by a Washington state courton their behalf and they have been placed in any of the following living situations:
    • Foster Care
      • Family Foster Care, with non-relative adults
      • Kinship Care, with relatives
      • Residential/Group Care
    • Dependency Guardianship (with either relatives or non-relatives)
    • Guardianship (with either relatives or non-relatives)
  • If over 18, students must have lived in a court-ordered foster care, dependency guardianship or guardianship until emancipation, (age 18).


  • The applicant is currently, or was until age 18, in federally recognized care.  The applicant has been classified by the United States government as an unaccompanied minor refugee, is a legal permanent resident and is in legal care, (or was in care until emancipation) of  a private non-profit agency in Washington state.


  • The applicant is currently, or was until age 18, under a dependency tribal court order that placed the student outside the home.

Applicants are not eligible if they:

  • Have been adopted.
  • Returned to live with their parents before turning 18, (regardless of whether the court continued to remain involved).
  • Have had their dependency court order dismissed.
  • Were not dependent to federal, state or tribal court prior age 18.


The 2018-19 Governors' Scholarship application will be available on  Monday, January 1, 2018. The online application must be submitted by Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 5 p.m. PST.

Required Documents

To be considered for the Governors' Scholarship for Foster Youth for the 2018-19 academic year, you must meet the eligibility criteria and complete each step below by Wednesday, February 28, 2018 (no exception):

  • Submit an online Governors' Scholarship application
  • Ensure your recommender submits a letter of recommendation online. You will be asked to provide name and email address of your recommender in the online application. College Success Foundation will contact your recommender to complete this requirement.
  • Email the following documents to ScholarshipServices@CollegeSuccessFoundation.org:
    • Transcript: You must submit an unofficial transcript from your high school showing grades through fall 2017 and cumulative GPA.
    • 2018-19 Student Aid Report: Summary results of your FAFSA or WASFA (ALL pages). See FAFSA or WASFA samples.
    • Copy of Dependency Court Order: provide a copy of the official court document reflecting the current placement situation. Copies can be obtained from your social worker.